The Mina Rees Library is committed to advancing open access to scholarly literature and to helping Graduate Center researchers find the broadest possible readership. We seek an intern with an interest in scholarly publishing (and systems of scholarly communication more generally) and a keen attention to detail to join us is these efforts.
Collaborating closely with the Associate Librarian for Scholarly Communication, the intern will work on a number of projects, such as:
- Identifying Graduate Center research that is not yet publicly accessible and would benefit a broad readership if it were;
- Investigating questions related to the publishing and/or research dissemination practices of the Graduate Center community;
- Contacting Graduate Center faculty about making their publications and/or other research works publicly accessible;
- Researching publishers’ policies and/or seeking publishers’ permission to make works publicly accessible;
- Uploading publications to CUNY Academic Works (https://academicworks.cuny.edu/);
- Learning (via reading, webinars, etc.) about topics in scholarly communication related to intern’s own interests;
- Writing blog posts about scholarly communication issues, materials in CUNY Academic Works, etc.
The internship will provide hands-on experience with publishers’ copyright policies and various library and scholarly communication tools. It will also offer a front-row seat to developments and debates in scholarly publishing.
Please submit a current CV or resume, as well as a cover letter noting any scholarly publishing or scholarly communication topics of particular interest. Please also indicate what research areas you hope to focus on and/or Graduate Center faculty whose research you especially want to help make publicly accessible.
This internship will consist of approximately 150 hours of work over the course of the Fall 2021 semester. It will be compensated with 3 units of academic credit through IDS 81620: Scholarly Praxis at Work in the World.
Applications will be accepted until 24 May 2021. The application can be found by logging into GC Connect and search for job #16583 or the tag “scholarly praxis.”
New York, New York United States
CUNY Graduate Programs
3 units of academic credit through IDS 86120
Fall 2021 semester
Approximate Hours Per Week